24 September, 2009

Moderna Museet Cafe

Last Sunday was gorgeous and warm. Its been really lovely weather here, sunny and about 18c (that's in the upper 60s for the Americans.) Perfect fall days, really.

But I spent most of last Sunday writing a paper (remind me why I decided to go back to grad school again?!?)

Stu & I took a break, though, to go to the big Moderna Museet in the afternoon. They had just opened a Salvador Dali show, and it was the last day of a photography show that I thought he would really enjoy. Its a great museum, situated on a little island called Skeppsholmen (which is actually really hard for me to pronounce in Swedish) with several other museums. They are doing track work on some of the subway over there, so its not the *easiest* place to get to from our apartment (I found that out when I mixed up my course time at the MM last week, and ended up being 45 minutes late for class...I took a very expensive cab ride, and it still took forever.)

Anyway, we checked out the Dali, and then took a coffee break. They have several places to grab a fika in the museum, and the restaurant is really quite good, with a large balcony sitting over the water. But we grabbed coffee in the little cafe between the Moderna and the Architecture museum.



I didn't take a picture because we ate them too fast, but holy, we had some of the best waffles with blueberries and vanilla cream.



We have done the cafe thing at several of the museums, like Liljevalchs and others on Djurgården, and many of them take full advantage of the outdoors...something DC museums don't do very well. Don't get me wrong, the cafe at the NGA is great, and the food at NMAI is fantastic, and the space is fun. I guess there is just so much more rustic green space in Stockholm, and it just feels different. More relaxed.



It was definitely the first museum cafe I had ever seen that sold farmer's vegetables! And the prices weren't too bad, either. It's less than $3 for a big bunch of carrots, $1.50 for the bunch of fresh corn. And I learned a new word from this sign: artichoke in Swedish is kronårtskocka. Hmmm...who knew?



We sat on this rock, since most of the tables were taken up. It was a prime spot...there were little kids jumping all over the place.



Anyway, we caught the end of the photography show (I had only seen Larry Clark's work in his books...its even more disturbing and fascinating when blown up on the wall!) I bought a funky plate and lamented that I couldn't buy the whole set (the museum gift shops here are pretty good, too)

And I managed to mostly finish my paper while Stu went out to an Irish bar on Söder to catch the Eagles game with several of his new American-football-watching friends. They might come here next week to see it...Stu bought the NFL package to stream online. He's dedicated.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a great day! i really have to catch the dalí exhibition and the restaurant/café at mm is definitely rather nice.

    you wanted to know if there where anymore classes similar to the one i went to. you'll find more info here http://www.sll.se/sll/templates/NormalPage.aspx?id=16481
    lost of nice classes/inspiration evenings (all price ranges). in swedish only but here the email address for more info
    mailto: lhk@kun.sll.se

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great show...definitely go see it! Although he was sometimes incomprehensible, I really liked the film footage of interviews with Dali.

    Thanks for the links! Of course all the classes are in Swedish (what was I thinking?) I guess I just need to step up my studying!

    ReplyDelete