17 November, 2009

Lamest weekend ever

Well, it started off on the right foot. Stu signed us up for a mjöd tasting on Friday night.  Of course, it wasn't until we got there and paid our 150 kronor that we realized it was all in Swedish.  The guy said he could probably do his thing bi-lingually, but we told him not to bother for our benefit, we'd blunder through it. We had alcohol in front of us, how hard could it be?!? 
And it was fine, because our Swedish isn't that bad, and Swedes are super nice when they are drinking! Well, they are generally nice all the time (as long as you aren't trying to get paperwork slid through faster at migrationsverket. That definitely didn't work.)  But they are especially friendly when you give them fermented honey and fruit beverages. So we had translations offered with every Skål!  Oddly, we mostly sampled California meads, and I think maybe there was a Polish mead thrown in there, but whatever. Still thoroughly enjoyable. It led to us continue the party at a terrible but super cheap bar near our place with a few fun Swedes, including one legally named Jimmy, and randomly, an Estonian heptathlete. She had actually met Andreas Thorkildsen, which we got a kick out of (Google some pictures of the guy...I think he and Stu have the same chin.)

We left by midnightish, because Stu had to catch a Ryanair flight to Frankfurt in the morning, and I hadn't eaten dinner, so I was just, uh, silly.

And that silliness caught up to me Saturday. I didn't even bother to get out of my pajamas. Stu left about 8:30am, and I spent the entire day watching bad movies, feeling bakfull. It was raining, so I didn't want to leave the house. I am not allowed to spend money, so no shopping. I technically have a paper due next week, but I managed to procrastinate the entire day away anyway.  I did bake a kvargcake, then ate too much of it by myself before Stu came home.  (It was delicious! I take back all the mean things I said about kvarg.)

Sunday was basically a carbon copy of Saturday, but I did actually get dressed and go out into the world for a bit.  And I made a homesick-fix lasagna for Stu, though I think going back to Frankfurt made him feel a little homesick for Germany...he spent 12 years growing up there! Though, come to think of it, I'm sure the liters of dark German beer, the schnitzel and the spätzle helped with that.
He brought back presents from the PX on the US Army base there, including SEVEN boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese, thankyouverymuch. Nothing says America like fake orange cheese and noodles! 

So it was a really lame weekend for me. I should have gone to a museum, or called up one of the few friends I have here for fika, or done my homework, but I was too lazy for any of that.

On the plus side, I did manage to watch the entire first season of Glee, and am now a big fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment