24 February, 2010

My eyeballs are cold

I got new mittens!

My eyeballs are cold. Think about that for a second.

I had to walk home from my nanny job yesterday. Its not far, Östermalm to Vasastan, maybe 20 minutes? But it was 7pm, I was hungry and had to pee, and I wasn't intending to walk home. I was just going to take the bus. But the bus never showed up. The digital ticker thing that tells you how long until the next bus kept changing: 4 minutes, 7 minutes, 12 minutes. So I just walked...I figured it would keep me warmer to keep moving.
But that meant walking directly into the wind, which was f.r.i.g.i.d. And I couldn't *close* my eyes while walking, so I had ice-cold air blasting my eyeballs and freezing my tears before they fell. I'm lucky not to have lost any eyelashes! I was a walking popsicle before I got home. Stu had to pick me up and wrap me in blankets when I walked in the door.

So, its cold in Stockholm. No regional train service, half-functioning subway, who knows what the buses were doing: they had a public transportation melt-down this weekend after a big ol' snowstorm (that we missed while in Berlin!) It was -22c on Monday. But the sun is out now! No, there won't be any melting, it is still only -10c.

I'm going to bake some cookies for a seminar at school this afternoon (jealous?) and finish up a paper on art and emotion as explained by Wollheim and Collingwood (now you're really jealous, I know!) Some pictures of snowy Stockholm on the way to school Monday:





No comments:

Post a Comment