15 May, 2011

News

First thing's first: Azerbaijan?  There were far better bands in last night's Eurovision Song Contest finals than who won. Seriously, Iceland? Ireland? Denmark? Bosnia-Herzegovina? Moldova!? Way more fun. To be honest, I was amazed that Sweden did as well as they did (a really, really close third place) considering our contestant was ManBoy.

Second thing, I have been terrible, just *terrible* at posting on our blog! I have blog guilt. It started as a way to share with family/friends in the States our funny experiences and culture shock moving to the land of ABBA sill and tubed meats, but almost 2 years in, we have gotten over those initial "WTF" moments. Not to mention with the last several months, our lives have felt rather boring, what with thesis-writing, project-planning and generally finishing up our degrees. Oh, school. Less than a month left. And I am *never* going back.

And I have an excuse. Along with suffering grad school, I have been suffering from morning sickness! I promise this blog won't turn into a forum for me to whine about pregnancy (though there is *plenty* to complain about.) But it IS nice to be able to talk about it now that the little squirt is the size of a peach. And we've decided, for simplicity's sake, that she is a SHE until we are told differently. You can't call it 'It.'

We are friggin' pregnant! 
More later (I promise) Right now, Stu & I are heading to SU to install my crappy little on-campus 'preview' show for my exhibition. I have a video of a lovely Swedish artist "reading" a book of punctuation, as in "comma, comma, period, question mark, period, parenthesis." But in Swedish. It is ever so charming, the first time or two.  I think after listening to it for 10 hours in the mini-exhibition, I will be certifiably crazy. Just so you know.





6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Totally great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! i love how you get to the important things first, like eurovision :)

    That is so exciting, congrats on the baby!!!! thesis writing was hard enough for me, i cant IMAGINE doing it while throwing up. Props to you!

    I am looking forward to a post about where you are going to end up... cause since i now qualify for mammaledig it might be time for me to join the parenthood train too and I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience in Sweden.

    ps. have you heard of this site called MIS?? mumsinsweden dot com. My friend moved here recently and she has kids, met tons of moms and lots of info. But this information might only be useful if you are staying in Sweden...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! We are SUPER excited!

    And we're just as eager to know where we will end up, too. I really thought we'd know by now.

    And actually, we can't even really agree. I'm ready to head back with the first grandkid on both sides, but Stu really, really likes the idea of pappaledighet. I can't blame him...Sweden rocks that. We could always stay, then he could take a super long paternity leave and we just hang out in the States for 6 or 8 months?

    Thanks for the tip on MIS...I'll sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm so excited for you guys! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Laura is so excited to meet her new friend. I know how you're feeling though, with the school-pregnant combo. Not fun! But at least you'll be done with your degree before the baby arrives!

    ReplyDelete